Monday, September 26, 2011

On aging....


You know that you've gone too far when your plastic content exceeds that of Madam

I like Joan Rivers, really I do.  Had you told me 10 years ago that those words would come out of my mouth I would have called you crazy.  I changed my mind when I saw her on Celebrity Apprentice.  She's quirky, neurotic, and actually funny, all traits that I admire.  But there comes a time when every rational adult must realize that they aren't twenty-one anymore.  I'm only 44, but I came to that realization a couple of years ago when I jumped off of a waterfall and was certain that I wasn't long for this world.

I'm a lot more active than I was when I jumped off the waterfall, so in a way I probably have turned back the clock in a sense because I'm in better shape, but the relentless march of time is not going to be arrested by hiking or kayaking; the grey in my beard is expanding and the wrinkles are starting to appear and deepen.  It makes me sad and it makes me miss my youth, but it's inevitable.

Youth is wasted on the young, who are unable to appreciate it.  Most have little or no responsibility and don't experience the pressures that adults get to suffer through.  Kids should have to attend school year round and adults should be the ones that get 3 months off for the summer.  I'm sure that the young people who stumble across this post are rolling their eyes and throwing out the all too overused "lol", but they would be well served to remember that I was once like them, but they have being like me to look forward too.  Yea, scary.

We've all seen the people who do the comb-over's, or use Just for Men, or Rogaine, or the very bad hair pieces, or the thousands of other products used to delude the Papa's and Mamaw's of the world into thinking they can delay the inevitable.  All most of this stuff does is make people look funny, it doesn't change anything.

The distinction between the past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion.
Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment